If you don’t believe in yourself, how can you expect the prospective employer to?
Showing confidence and self-belief is reassuring to a prospective employer. If you appear self-assured, an interviewer will feel confident in your abilities.
As part of your interview preparation, consider how you would answer the following questions, should an interviewer ask them.
- Would you describe yourself as self-motivated? If yes, why?
- Can you give an example of a time when you made a suggestion to improve something at work?
- What happened? Was it implemented?
- What was the level of supervision in your last job?
- What was your relationship with your supervisor/manager like?
- How would your last manager/ current manager rate your performance and how would you rate it yourself (self-awareness)
- If I was to ask your last supervisor or a colleague to describe you, what would they say?
- What gets you out of bed in the morning? (The answer is not an alarm clock!)
- In your last / current job, how did you go about organising your day?
- Can you describe a time when you were under pressure at work? How did you go about handling the pressure?
- Would you describe yourself as organised? What makes you describe yourself in this way?
- Can you tell me about a time when you helped a team you were part of achieve its goals?
- Can you tell me about a time there was conflict in a team you were in, what happened and how was it resolved?
- Do you prefer to work alone on a task or with others?
- Does anything frustrate you about working with other people on a daily basis?
- Are you a member of any teams or groups outside work?
- Would you describe yourself as ambitious? If yes, why?
- If we were to hire you, how long would you see yourself staying with us?
- Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years’ time?
- Do you plan to study further in any particular area?
The awkward questions!
- Why should we choose you for this position?
- Could you tell me a bit about yourself?
- What do you feel are your main strengths?
- What do you know about this company?
- What do you think you would bring to this role?
- Why do you want to work for the company?